Application Maternity Allowance
Mothers are entitled to claim as long as they
- were insured under the AHV scheme 9 months before the birth of the child and
- were working for at least 5 months during this period.
Women are eligible who, at the time of the birth of their child,
- are employees.
- are self-employed.
- work in the business of their partner or family and earn a cash wage.
- The statutory allowance during maternity leave is 80% of the average income earned by the mother immediately before the birth of her child, (to a maximum of CHF196.– per day).
- The entitlement begins upon the birth of the child
- and ends after 98 days (with the exception of the Canton of Geneva).
If the mother returns to work sooner, the entitlement is replaced by the salary. Maternity allowance is part of the social security system and is subject to payment of contributions (with the exception of accident insurance). If you continue to pay the mother‘s salary during the entitlement period, the Compensation Fund pays the maternity allowance to the employer.
Your employee must fill in the «Maternity allowance application» form and forward this, along with a copy of the birth certificate, to you. Please complete the relevant parts of the form and forward it to us.
Further information on maternity allowance can be found on the AHV information sheet «Maternity benefit (AHV information sheet 6.02 IC/MB benefits)».